Competencies Addressed in This Assignment
- Competency 1: Dissect criminal justice ethical issues and practices.
- Competency 3: Compare different ethics systems in a criminal justice community and leadership context.
- Competency 4: Articulate how personal biases affect ethical approaches to criminal justice dilemmas.
- Competency 5: Communicate effectively in writing.
Public attitudes toward police misconduct or police legitimacy have been linked to violent crime. For that, and other reasons, it is important for police departments to set and maintain high standards of conduct for professional pride, and because it can be argued that police ethics impact public safety in a more general sense. Officers’ discretion is controlled and guided by both formal ethics and the informal culture of law enforcement offices.
Review the Political Courtesy media for a scenario that you will analyze for this assignment.
For this assignment, prepare a three-page paper detailing the moral rules you would follow and the ethical judgment you would employ regarding whether you would arrest or not in this situation.
In your paper:
- Explore the ethical system you would apply in carrying out your duties as a law enforcement officer.
- Articulate the moral rules you would follow in considering what your response might be if the driver were a non-political figure.
- Analyze whether your ethical and moral behavior would be the same or different if the driver were a fellow police officer.
Your paper should meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Must be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- References: Support your ideas and opinions with appropriate resources.
- APA formatting: Format resources and citations as per current APA style and formatting guidelines.
- Length of paper: Three pages, not including the title page and the references page.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
Looking for help with your homework?
Place an Order
Grab a 30% Discount and Get your paper done!