Choose the spiritual practice of either Justice OR Unity.
Each spiritual practice paper is worth a possible ten points
1. Describe one spiritual practice chosen from the two practices assigned. (5 points)
– What is the spiritual practice?
– How did you practice it? What was your experience in practice? Why/why not is this
practice for you?
2. Write about two resources from the spiritual practices website (latest content section) that add to your knowledge of this spiritual practice. (2.5 points each). Describe each resource and indicate the resource’s helpfulness in understanding this practice.
Sources that need to be used:
Spirituality and Food
a.How to eat like Michael Pollan: http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/arts-culture/stories/michael-pollans-new-book-guides-readers-to-simple-food-rules
b. Wikipedia: Who is Vandana Shiva? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vandana_Shiva
c. Eating mindfully http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-susan-albers/eating-mindfully-for-eart_b_548057.html
d. Religion and food: https://www.encyclopedia.com/food/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/religion-and-food
e. National Food Day: explore the curriculum resource “Food Day” (attached above)
a. Vandana Shiva “Traditional Knowledge, Biodiversity and Sustainable Living” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9K0cZGQgHA
b. Mark Bittman: “On what’s wrong with what we eat?”http://www.ted.com/talks/mark_bittman_on_what_s_wrong_with_what_we_eat?language=en
c. The Meatrix: http://www.themeatrix.com/
d. Video cliips on ritual observance of Holy Communion, Latin rite and Jewish observance of shabbat
Holy Communion: Latin rite
a. Definition of social justice http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_justice
b. Catholic teachings on social justice “Social Justice Isn’t Left or Right” https://www.catholic.com/magazine/print-edition/social-justice-isnt-left-or-right
c. Who is Martin Luther King Jr.? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther_King,_Jr.
d. “Call for Unity” and “Letter from Birmingham Jail (document is posted above- right under the assignments heading
a. a. “I am the Son of a Terrorist- Here’s How I Choose Peace” http://www.ted.com/talks/zak_ebrahim_i_am_the_son_of_a_terrorist_here_s_how_i_chose_peace
b. b.Unity: “The Balancing Act of Compassion” http://www.ted.com/talks/jackie_tabick
c. c.One Day of peace http://www.ted.com/talks/jeremy_gilley_one_day_of_peace
Spiritual Teacher: Malala Youzafzai
1. Read about Malala Youzafzai: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-23241937
2. Listen to her speech given at her acceptance of the Nobel Peace prize: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOqIotJrFVM