1. In the book, Africa in Global History, Robert Harms showed us how African societies on the Indian Ocean and Mediterranean regions were challenged by the arrival of European war capitalism starting around 1498 CE.
a. How did the arrival and activities of the Portuguese between the 15th and 17th centuries impact the East African peoples and city-states?
b. Explain how the Dutch sea route patterns led to the establishment of Cape Colony on the southern-tip of Africa. And how did this settlement affect the local Khoikhoi and San peoples of southern Africa?
IMPORTANT INFORMATION – Please, Read Carefully!
1. Since this is a take-home and open book exam, I will insist on and enforce HIGHER STANDARDS. By that I mean, higher quality essays (both content and mechanics). Merely regurgitating the textbook will not do you much good. Engage the materials and produce quality essays. Writing any of those questions will require you to demonstrate strong evidence that you READ the appropriate chapter(s) and/or recommended materials very well.
2. I am looking for QUALITY essays, not copy-and-paste. Avoid copy-and-paste like a plague … it will earn you an F grade. Do not re-type the textbook for me.
3. Your essay should be minimum of 1200 words in length, no maximum; double-spaced, 12- points font. Be sure your essay is substantial enough to address the questions you chose effectively.
4. Do NOT plagiarize … you know, passing someone else’s work as yours. It’s cheating, and results in a failing grade. If you go to the internet and lift stuff, I will find out. And I will graciously award you an F.
5. Cite all your sources appropriately
6. Write correct English grammar; check your spellings.
7. Submit your essays in the Blackboard
8. Once again, grades are based on the quality of your essay, reflecting evidence that you read the book well and that you were truly PRESENT in the class.
Addition Material : The book, “Africa in Global History with Sources”