Correctional Officers and Rights of Inmates
Hudson v. McMillian is a U.S. Supreme court case involving the excessive force resulting in a claim of cruel and unusual punishment under the Eighth Amendment. The court’s decision resulted in the five-pronged Hudson test, also known as PANAM:
- (P)erceived threat by correctional officers;
- (A)ny and all efforts to deescalate;
- (N)eed for the application of force;
- (A)mount of force that was used and;
- (M)edical issues, and extent of any injuries, that are used to evaluate cases involving any use of force before trial and after conviction.
The test helps the courts determine whether correctional officers’ actions were reasonable, necessary, and conducted in good faith (as opposed to malicious, unreasonable, and unnecessary).
Watch the video scenario and take notes as you watch: CJ in Practice Constitutional Issue: Depravation of Inmates’ Rights
Write a one to two (1-2) page report in which you:
- Summarize the events of this scenario and the persons involved.
- Examine the Constitutional Amendments that would relate to this situation and whether the rights of the inmates in this scenario were violated. Support your opinion.
- Determine whether the incidents pass the five-pronged Hudson test discussed above.
- Recommend how the Sergeant should respond to the behavior of the officer(s). Support your response.
- . Note: Wikipedia and similar websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details. If you prefer to use APA style, discuss with your professor.
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; references must follow SWS or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required page length.
Looking for help with your homework?
Place an Order
Grab a 30% Discount and Get your paper done!