The Hollywood Organic Co-op is in the process of implementing an electronic document management system (EDMS). There are five stores in the co-op, all within a 15 mile radius of LAX airport.
– The co-op currently has separate document management tools in each location and is not consistently retaining and securely managing critical business documents.
– A new EDMS must be developed or purchased which will allow all stores to create, store, and retrieve all official documents securely and efficiently. Documents refer to electronic documentation for all e-mail, text, orders and invoices, web pages, and marketing communication.
– Some of the co-op members are celebrities, and considering recent hacking of major retail computer systems, there is concern that documentation security may need to be improved prior to final implementation of the EDMS.
As Hollywood Organic Co-op’s IT manager, the CIO and CEO have tasked you with setting the stage for gathering the requirements for an EDMS that integrates all five stores to consistently retain and securely manage critical business documents.
Examine best practices, applicable standards, and types of policies that govern a document management life cycle for implementing an enterprise EDMS.
Prepare a 14- to 16-slide media-rich presentation of recommendations to Hollywood Organic Co-op for an EDMS. Include the following:
– Major components that must be included in a document retention policy
– Policies,standards, and procedures that will govern the secure management of the organization’s critical business documents
– Regulatory requirements and generally accepted practices that are applicable to the organization to safeguard its data
– A list of Hollywood Organic Co-op’s stakeholders and their responsibilities
– A recommended framework for a document life cycle
– At least two examples of an enterprise tool available on the market that could be incorporated into the organization to integrate the EDMS across the various store locations